A broken elbow usually hurts a great deal and can make it difficult to move your arm. When you go to get medical treatment, you will have x-rays taken so the doctor can see the type of break you have. If the bones aren't lined up, you will need surgery. You may be given a splint to keep your arm in one position before you have surgery.

Most olecranon fracture surgeries are called an open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF), where the bones are put back into position and then are held there with metal hardware like screws, wires, or plates. 

Your surgeon will give you instructions for the type of pain medications to take. You may also get information about other ways you can reduce pain, such as by using ice. 

After the surgery, you will need to do physical therapy to recover fully from your broken elbow.