Dr. Michael W. Mariscalco is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon practicing at OrthoVirginia who specializes in sports medicine and shoulder and knee surgery. He completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Mariscalco pursued additional fellowship training in sports medicine at The Ohio State University. Following his fellowship, he joined OrthoVirginia in Richmond, VA. He is board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine. He is author of 12 peer-reviewed publications.
Dr. Mariscalco was an All-American soccer player in high school. He later went to play Division I collegiate soccer at Butler University where he was an academic All-American his senior year, and was drafted by the Dallas Burn of Major League Soccer. As a former athlete, he understands both the mental and physical impact musculoskeletal injuries can have on an individual’s independence, ability to work or participate in sports, and overall sense of well-being. Dr. Mariscalco seeks to provide safe, individualized, and evidence-based care to all patients, helping them achieve their personal goals.
His specific areas of interest include arthroscopic rotator cuff repair and augmentation, superior capsule reconstruction for irreparable rotator cuff tears, and total and reverse shoulder replacement surgery. He performs shoulder arthroscopic labral repair as well as the Latarjet procedure for recurrent instability with bone loss. He also offers operative and nonoperative care for proximal humerus and clavicle fractures. Additionally, he performs multiple knee procedures including anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, meniscal repair, patellofemoral reconstruction, and cartilage restoration procedures.
He has offices in Richmond and the Tri-cities locations. He is a team physician for Chesterfield County high school athletics and served as the co-team physician for the 2017 Arena Pro Football champion Richmond Roughriders.
Dr. Mariscalco has been in the Richmond area since 2013, where he is happily married with four children. He is active outdoors and enjoys coaching soccer and participating in scouting activities with his sons.
- M.D., Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, 2003-07 (Dayton, OH)
- B.S., Butler University, 1999-2003 (Indianapolis, IN) Major: Biology, cum laude
- Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery (July 2015)
- Sports Medicine Fellowship, The Ohio State University, 2012-13 (Columbus, OH)
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, 2007-12 (Cleveland, OH)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society 2007
- Orthopedic Surgery Clerkship Award 2006
- Valley Pathologists Scholarship 2006
- Richmond RoughRiders Arena Pro Football 2017
- Chesterfield County High School Football, 2013-17
- Ohio State University Football and Hockey, 2012-2013
- Columbus Clippers (Triple AAA Baseball), 2012-13
- St. Edward High School Football and Hockey, Lakewood, OH, 2008-12
- Drafted by the Dallas Burn in the Major League Soccer (MLS) Superdraft, 2003
- First-Team Academic All-American (Soccer), 2003
- Butler University (Soccer), 1999-2003
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)