Total Joint Replacement Checklist
- Pre-op appointment with OrthoVirginia
- Pre-op appointment with hospital/anesthesia consult
- Visit your medical doctor (within 30 days of surgery)
- Dental examination (within 6 weeks of surgery)
- Attend Total Joint Orientation class at hospital
- Call outpatient physical therapy to set up a pre-op appointment.
- Make outpatient physical therapy appointment. to start after surgery
1 week before surgery
STOP anti-inflammatory meds: Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve,Advil, Diclofenac
EXCEPT Celebrex (you may take Celebrex up to day of surgery)
2 days before surgery
- Check with your hospital for your ARRIVAL TIME on day of surgery
Night before surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything past midnight unless instructed by the anesthesiologist or your surgeon
Schedule for 2 weeks after surgery
- 1st post-op appointment in the surgeon’s office
Total Joint Surgery Helpful Hints
Information specific to Reston Hospital
- You will be told your date of surgery. Your time of surgery is subject to change.
- Arrive 2 hours prior to your surgery time to the Reston hospital center registration desk.
Access hospital through ‘main entrance’ at front of hospital (by American flag pole & cafeteria) & use free valet parking service,
- Bring exercise type clothes with you to the hospital, like gym shorts, sweat pants, loose tops, yoga apparel, good walking shoes.
- Hospital rooms are all private, with flat screen TV’s & music therapy, free wifi internet services.
- Bring books, electronics, knitting, music, etc to pass the time.
- There are no time restrictions on visiting hours on the total joint 4th floor. A support person (>18 yrs) can spend the night in the hospital room with you if you want (not necessary).
- Therapy staff will work with you personally, and there will be group exercise classes while you are in the hospital.
- Walking is great exercise, get up and move around about every hour (except during sleep hours), & continue leg-raise exercises.
- Elevate your feet higher than your hips so they don’t swell at rest; *apply ice to operative area (not on bare skin!).
- You can shower as soon as you are discharged from hospital (no tub baths, swimming, or hot tubs initially).
- Water-proof dressings stay on incision for a week, then use large band-aid type dressings or gauze supplied by hospital.
- Do not apply any medications to incision: no alcohol,
- No peroxide, no ointments, no lotions, etc.
- Drink plenty of fluids to flush your system and to avoid constipation; *take stool softener or laxative as needed
- Follow up with surgeon in his office 10-14 days after the surgery for staple removal and xrays.
You will be told when you first post-op appointment is.