- As soon as your surgery has been scheduled, you will receive a personal health history questionnaire through your MyChart account. You can access your MyChart account here: orthovirginia.com/mychart. If you have any questions, please call the pre-op nurse at 703-385-3985, Monday – Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Pre-operative testing (Labwork, EKG, medical clearance) must be completed within 30 days prior to your scheduled surgery and the results must be received by the surgery center no later then 72 hours prior to your scheduled surgery.
- Please FAX your pre-op test results to the Surgery Center Pre-Op Department at 703-810-5436.
- You will NOT be permitted to drive after your surgery. You must have a responsible adult accompany you during your entire visit at the surgery center and he/she must drive you home after you have been discharged. Someone MUST be available to stay with you for the first 24 hours after discharge.
- If you are under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian MUST accompany you and he/she will not be allowed to leave the surgery center while you are under our care.
- Do NOT take aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e. Motrin, Aleve, Advil) 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks after surgery, unless otherwise instructed by your physician.
24 Hours Before Surgery
- Do NOT eat or drink after midnight prior to surgery – this includes candy, lozenges, mints and gum.
- Do NOT smoke for at least 24 hours prior to surgery. It is best to avoid smoking 1 week prior to surgery and 2 weeks following surgery.
- A staff member will call you the day before your surgery to confirm your assigned arrival time to the surgery center.
- If you have not received a confirmation call by 3:00 PM on the day prior to your surgery, please contact the appropriate surgery center at the telephone number listed at the top of this page.
Morning of Surgery
- Take all medications as prescribed with only a SIP of water (unless otherwise instructed).
- Bathe as usual. Avoid heavy lotions or moisturizers. You may brush your teeth.
- Do NOT wear make-up, body piercings, jewelry, or hair spray. Leave all valuables at home. OrthoVirginia will not be held responsible for any valuables that you bring to the surgery center on the day of your surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothing, elastic waist shorts (no zipper), sports bra, and shoes that are easy to remove. For shoulder and arm surgery patients, bring an XL button-down shirt to go over your sling.
- Bring completed registration paperwork, driver’s license, insurance cards, medication list and co-pay.