Post-Operative Instructions for Trigger Finger Release
1. REST, ICE, AND ELEVATION
Remain generally at rest. Elevate your hand higher than your heart for the first 48 hours. Dressing must be kept clean and dry. You may use ice over the dressing site for the first 48 hours. Range of motion of the fingers is important and will also help decrease the swelling. Swelling in the fingers is common after upper extremity surgery. Elevation and range of motion of the fingers will improve the swelling.
Take the following medication as directed:
- Percocet or your prescribed narcotic every 4-6 hours for pain. You may take Ibuprofen, 400-600mg, (or another anti-inflammatory) 2 hours after the Percocet if you are still in pain.
- Phenergan 1 tablet every 6-8 hours as needed for nausea.
Do not take Tylenol with the Percocet.
Pain Medication Tips:
- Do not drive while taking pain medications.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking pain medications.
- Pain medication should be taken with food as this will help prevent any stomach upset.
- Often pain medications will cause constipation. Eat high fiber foods and increase your fluid intake if possible.
- To alleviate constipation, purchase a stool softener at any pharmacy and follow the recommended directions on the bottle.
Slight bleeding through the dressing is common.
Please remove your dressings in 48 hours and cover the wound with a band-aid. You may shower normally at this point. Do not soak in a hot tub, pool, lake or pond as this make increase your chance of post-operative infection.
Your surgeon should be contacted by calling 703-810-5213 Option 3(Tysons office) or 703-810-5202 Option 3 (Reston office), 24 hours a day for any of the following symptoms:
- Fever greater than 101.5 degrees F.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, CALL 911.
- Loss of good color or coolness in the fingers.
- Severe pain unresponsive to narcotic medication.
- Excessive bleeding or vomiting.
Your post-operative appointment has been scheduled on ____________________ at _____________.
If you need to verify or change your post-op appointment, please call 703-277-BONE (2663)
Please make an appointment with Hand Therapy with____ days.