Post Operative Instructions for Lower Extremity
REST, ICE AND ELEVATION
- Remain generally at rest.
- Elevate and apply ice to area for the first 48 hours.
- Dressings must be kept dry.
Take the following medication as directed:
_____________________________ ___________________________ _______________________________
To minimize gastric upset from narcotics or anti-inflammatory medicine, eat adequate amounts of food.
Increase fluid and fiber intake to ease constipation from pain medication.
- Slight bleeding through the dressing/cast is common.
- Dressings/cast must be kept dry.
- Modify your bathing appropriately.
- Cover your dressing/cast with plastic when bathing.
- Use rubbing alcohol to remove the betadine prep solution from the skin.
Your surgeon should be contacted by calling 703-810-5202 Option 3, 24 hours a day for any of the following symptoms:
- Fever greater than 101.5 degrees F.
- Numbness, loss of good color or coolness in the foot.
- Severe pain unresponsive to narcotic medication.
- Excessive bleeding or vomiting.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, CALL 911.
Your post-operative follow up appointment is scheduled on___________________________ at the Reston Office. If you need to verify or change your post-op appointment, please call 703-277-BONE (2663)