Post Operative Instructions
This information is to help you in your recovery after foot surgery. Please read this information carefully. Feel free to ask your doctor or nurse any questions about your recovery at home. You will receive further instructions at your postop appointment. Please take your xrays/ MRI's/ CT scans and other xray studies home with you.
REST, ICE AND ELEVATION
Remain generally at rest. Apply ice over the dressing and elevate your foot "Toes above the nose" for the first 48 hours to help with swelling. If using a Polar Care Ice Cooler, use for 30 minutes on and then 30 minutes off during waking hours. Dressings must be kept dry.
Heel Weight Bearing using crutches or walker unless you have been instructed not to by your doctor. You should always wear the postop shoe or walking boot when standing or walking.
Take the following medication as directed:
- ____Toradol: one tablet every 6 hours with food for 3 days
- ____Tylenol #3: 1-2 every 4 hours as needed for pain
- ____ Percocet: 1-2 every 6 hours as needed for pain
- ____ Phenergan: 1 tablet every 4-6 hours for nausea or vomiting
- ____ Colace 100mg twice a day while on narcotics
Pain Medication Tips:
- Do not drive while taking pain medications.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking pain medications.
- Pain medication should be taken with food as this will help prevent any stomach upset.
- Often pain medications will cause constipation. Eat high fiber foods and increase your fluid intake if possible. To alleviate constipation, purchase a stool softner at any pharmacy and follow the recommended directions on the bottle.
Leave dressing intact until seen in office postop. Slight bleeding through the dressing/cast is common. Reinforce the dressing/cast with 4x4 gauze pads and gauze wrap as needed.
No baths, no hot tubs, no swimming. Cover your dressing/cast with plastic when showering.
Use rubbing alcohol to remove the betadine prep solution from the skin
Your surgeon should be contacted by calling 703-810-5204, 24 hours a day for any of the following symptoms:
- Fever greater than 101 degrees F for more than 2 days.
- Numbness, loss of good color or coolness in the foot.
- Severe pain unresponsive to narcotic medication.
- Excessive bleeding or vomiting.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, CALL 911.
Your post-operative follow up appointment is schedule on _____________________________.