Post Operative Instructions for Upper Extremity
REST, ICE AND ELEVATION
- Remain generally at rest.
- Elevate and apply ice to area for the first 48 hours.
- Dressings must be kept dry.
Take the following medication as directed:
_______________________ ______________________ ___________________
Pain Medication Tips:
- Do not drive while taking pain medications.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking pain medications.
- Pain medication should be taken with food as this will help prevent any stomach upset.
- Often pain medications will cause constipation. Eat high fiber foods and increase your fluid intake if possible. To alleviate constipation, purchase a stool softener at any pharmacy and follow the recommended directions on the bottle.
- Slight bleeding through the dressing/cast is common. Dressings/cast must be kept dry.
- Modify your bathing appropriately. Cover your dressing/cast with plastic when bathing.
- Use rubbing alcohol to remove the betadine prep solution from the skin.
Your surgeon should be contacted by calling 703-810-5202 Option 3, 24 hours a day for any of the following symptoms:
- Fever greater than 101.5 degrees F.
- Numbness, loss of good color or coolness in the arm.
- Severe pain unresponsive to narcotic medication.
- Excessive bleeding or vomiting.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, CALL 911.
Your post-operative follow up appointment is scheduled on ________________ at the Reston office. If you need to verify or change your post-op appointment, please call 703-277-BONE (2663).