Post Operative Instructions
(You will receive your customized post-op instructions after your surgery.)
REST, ICE AND ELEVATION
Remain generally at rest. Elevate and apply ice to area for the first 48 hours. Dressings must be kept dry.
Take the following medication as directed:
_______________________________, ____________________________, _____________________________
Pain Medication Tips:
- Do not drive while taking pain medications.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking pain medications.
- Pain medication should be taken with food as this will help prevent any stomach upset.
- Often pain medications will cause constipation. Eat high fiber foods and increase your fluid intake if possible.
- To alleviate constipation, purchase a stool softener at any pharmacy and follow the recommended directions on the bottle.
Slight bleeding through the dressing/cast is common. Dressings/cast must be kept dry. Modify your bathing appropriately. Cover your dressing/cast with plastic when bathing. Use rubbing alcohol to remove the betadine prep solution from the skin.
Your surgeon should be contacted by calling 703-810-5215 Option 3 or 703-810-5213 Option 3 24 hours a day for any of the following symptoms:
- Fever greater than 101.5 degrees F.
- Numbness, loss of good color or coolness in the arm.
- Severe pain unresponsive to narcotic medication.
- Excessive bleeding or vomiting.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath – CALL 911
Your post-operative appointment is scheduled on _________________________at the _____________ office. If you need to verify or change your post-op appointment, please call 703-277-BONE (2663).